Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Greatest Lesson

It's been just over three months since the ending of my last job. Since then, we have been surviving on two unemployment insurance checks weekly. Not much, to say the least, but we are grateful for at least something to fall back upon.

I imagine I am preaching to the choir as millions of you are too, standing in the unemployment line. So what's with the article title? Unemployment and poverty is my 'greatest lesson'? Well, yes...

Like the rest of you, when I was working I got caught up in the drama of hectic living. Work here; a few social expectations there. Woofing down meals to meet my next commitment on time. Not exercising enough, not sleeping at night and eating more calories than I could burn off. An occasional email, impersonal as it may be, to friends and family just to let them know I am alive; often neglecting family needs at home.

Initially, when I first became unemployed I felt a lack of equilibrium. It's amazing how much a job contributes to our self-definition and what we perceive as life-balance.

But, after some soul searching and reflecting on what I could learn from my experience, I settled down into a stronger sense of self and I learned that it is less important what I do for a living than what I live for doing. Materialism and ego gave way to a sense of peace and confidence within that I wasn't able to achieve through work.

I've learned that life becomes more meaningful when I refuse the distractions that had dominated my days prior. I've begun to focus on what life is really about, loving, learning and self-growth. Instead of reluctantly waking to the early morning buzz from the alarm clock, I more happily wake to the gentle licking from my pup and feel of the morning's dewy air.

I've realized that although we can't buy everything we need and the bills are often paid late, my time with family makes it all worthwhile and there is no place as comforting as when I am at home.

I am beginning to focus on what I am passionate about and rejecting the learned impulses of 'keeping up with the Jones' ' because the Jones probably aren't fortunate enough to have this chance to realize that things do not bring happiness.

While I am actively seeking employment and positions appear to be opening up, I never want to go back to allowing my work to take precedence over the happiness that my family and home bring me. Poverty can be a wonderful teacher. In this country we are groomed into believing that having too much, working excessively and eating more than we need is the path to a satisfactory life. Rubbish.

We can do more with less. When we have fulfilling relationships, we don't need to be distracted with ownership, constant activity and financial wealth. This has been the greatest lesson of unemployment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about this subject?